Diverse, productive employee base
A balanced and productive workforce that can be retained over a period of time and who feel that Santam cares for them.
Short-term insurance relies on the skills, resources and productivity of their employees to ensure that clients are satisfied and its risk pool is managed. In a competitive global environment employees need to function optimally when they are at work. Research has also shown that people are attracted, and tend to stay, at employers that are responsible, allow them to actualise themselves and look after their wellbeing as a whole person. Given the reality of a scarce skills shortage in the short-term insurance industry, the need to build and retain a productive and diverse workforce that can respond to changing ways of doing business. We therefore focus on the mental, physical and socio-economic wellness of our employees. We also include our employees' families as a key focal point when working towards a productive workforce.
Finally we recognise the importance of creating opportunities for upwards mobility for black employees as required by black economic empowerment legislation.
Scarce skills development is an issue that requires action at national, industry and company level. Only when contributing on all three levels will companies benefit and employees and government be able to achieve success. Therefore, the group focuses on the following:
- The three-tiered leadership development programme
- Sanlam/Santam leadership programme run by the USB-ED (University of Stellenbosch Enterprise Development)
- Sanlam ELP (Enterprise Learning Programme)
- Behavioural skills training
- Technical, underwriting and systems training
- Graduate acceleration programme
- Learnership programme
- Study assistance
Santam has two learnership programmes. These include:
- The Santam general insurance learnership programme
- The Santam motor assessor learnership programme